Sunday, January 30, 2011

Coffee Cozy - 1st Project Purple


And the one I photographed isn't even PURPLE! It's pink.

BUT I do have purple too!
When I took photos the buttons looked blue so I just went with pink. :)


My first project is a coffee cozy. I have one I purchased a while back and LOVE it.

When one of my friends in the FaceBook world posted:

"Pay it Forward 2011: I promise to send something handmade to the first 5 people who leave a comment here. They must in turn post this and send something they make to the first 5 people who comment on their status. *The rules are that it must be handmade by you and it must be sent to your 5 people sometime in 2011."


I HAD to jump in! Even if I had tried in 2010 but to NO avail!

SO this is my coffee cozy project:
I used 1 yard each of 2 coordinating fabrics. 1 yard of batting. hair bands. buttons.
with 1 yard I made 15 cozys. (don't like leftover fabric so I just kept cutting)


1. pin pattern to front fabric, back fabric (right side facing each other) and batting (1 layer). THEN CUT
2. the hair bands I used for the "loop"
3. pin "loop" between the front and back fabrics (still right side facing each other)
4.close up of the loop sticking out
5.close up of the fabrics
6.sew almost all the way around (leaving 3-4 inches on top un-sewn) at 1/4 inch (the outside of your sewing machine foot)
7. trim around edges close to stitching. trim batting at opening on top but do NOT trim fabrics
8.turn right side out and iron
9.when you iron, fold the "opening" in and iron making sure you fold one fabric (doesn't matter which) over the batting (you'll sew it shut in the next step)
10.sew around the entire cozy at 1/8 inch (the inside mark on your sewing machine foot)
11. sew on a button
12.you're ready to cozy up to some coffee (pictures on a clear glass so you can see the coordinating fabrics in all of their glory)
I have the pattern in .pdf and .jpg if you'd like it.
You'll need a legal size piece of paper and a way to print at 100%.


*****************************************************************************************
UPDATE: 2-3-2011

OK I HAD to share this cozy with you.  I was making a cozy like above out of some jeans that were my big guys but he put too many holes in the knees so the little guy can't wear them.  I used the back of the legs to make a cozy. (size 3T).  then took a look at the waist and thought "THAT could be a cozy" so I DID!  Just the back half of the waist band and some ribbon.
Here it is:

No comments: